Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 10 - childhood memory


A childhood memory of mine is one of fresh homemade buns with good homemade vegetable soup. My mum made homemade buns each Friday and our supper on Friday night (the beginning of our Sabbath day of rest) was a time of delicious smells of the baking and cooking, all of us gathering around the kitchen table for a simple meal. My dad worked out of town so it was special to have him home for the weekend. Sometimes we would drink home canned tomato juice and if we did not have soup we would have cooked pinto beans and stew. Later we sat in our tiny living room and sang hymns and listened while Mum read us a story or two. Then Dad opened his Bible and read to us. Prayer time followed. What wonderful memories I have of early winter evenings with my family.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that I have very similar Friday evening childhood memories. I love this picture and all the memories, thoughts, smells and tastes it conveys. I hope someday soon I can again taste Grandma's wonderful homemade Friday buns!

    ReplyDelete