Monday, March 3, 2014

Meeting at Walmart

After the little episode in the card aisle ( seeing all the bright pink cards with Mum written on them made me feel so sad that I will not be able to buy any more beautiful cards for my mumma) I dried my silent tears and made my way through a small group of people chatting at the end of the row and over towards the video section.
On the way I stopped at the display of soft lovely yarn.  As I went into the aisle with all the rest of the yarn in it I moved over to accomodate a lady using a walker.  I was looking for a plain white ball of yarn and staring into the stacks of yarn ahead of me.
The lady with the walker looked at me and asked, " What are you going making?".  I honestly answered that I was not making something but I was thinking about taking baby photos with the infant in a basket of soft yarn balls.
She thought that was a terrific idea and kept up the conversation.  It is not hard for me to talk any more-- not like it was when I was a young child.  In fact, my family tell me I can talk to any one and meet friends everywhere I go.
The conversation slowed and she moved past me and I kept on my search for the softest, best colour I could find.
Her voice caused me to turn to her again as she said that maybe when I was finished with the yarn I might want to donate it to her.  Well, why not, I thought.  I certainly do not need any more things sitting idle at my house.
Soon she had a free pattern paper from the shelf and was writing her name and number down for me to have.
Then she invited me to call her any time and maybe we could go out for a walk together.
Just like that we connected and I was left thinking many things.
Making a new friend right in the yarn aisle at Walmart is not what I came in to do, but I did not mind it at all.
She turned around and came back down the row to be near me again and soon was talking of many things like having babies and a grown son.
Then we both needed to get on with our shopping and we said good bye.
I love these chance meetings.
Now it is in my court, as my daughter told me, to contact her and continue the friendship.
What would you do if you were me?
What will I do?
I have that free pattern paper with the number on it.
I just might call...



3 comments:

  1. That is a very neat story! I hope you call her and can have a wonderful new friendship with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the story Auntie! It is a nice thing to think about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story. You're the nicest :)

    ReplyDelete